(Updated in August 2020)
Find the complete list of publications here.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Papers (Bold font = lab members; * = corresponding author)
- Brenner T, Fong K, Lee S, Wang S*. 2020. A dynamic method for broad-spectrum bacteriophage cocktail formulation against poultry-associated Salmonella enterica. PHAGE. 1(2):109-117
- Bogan AL, Fong K, Trmcic A, Wang S, Frostad JM*. 2020. Evaluation of non-traditional visualization methods to detect surface attachment of biofilms. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces
- He S, Fong K, Wang S*, Shi X*. 2020. Ethanol adaptation in foodborne bacterial pathogens. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2020.1746628
- Fong K, Mu K, Rheault JG, Levesque RC, Kitts D, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Wang S*. 2020. Bacteriophage-insensitive mutants of antimicrobial-resistant Salmonella enterica are altered in their tetracycline resistance and virulence in Caco-2 intestinal cells. International Journal of Molecular Science. 21(5), 1883
- Hingston P, Johnson K, Kitts D, Wang S*. 2020. Safety and quality of fish and game meats prepared by First Nations communities in British Columbia, Canada. Journal of Food Protection. doi: 10.4315/JFP-19-492.
- Wang S, Chen J, Wakeling C, Bach S, Orban S, Delaquis P*. 2020. Disinfection of alfalfa and radish sprouting seed using oxidizing agents and treatments compliant with organic food production principles. Journal of Food Protection. doi: 10.4315/JFP-19-508
- Zhu Y, Wu F, Trmcic A, Wang S, Warriner K*. 2020. Microbiological status of reusable plastic containers in commercial grower/packer operations and risk of Salmonella cross-contamination between containers and cucumbers. Food Control. 110:107021
- Wong WYC, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Levesque RC, Fong K, Wang S*. 2019. Inactivation of Salmonella enterica on post-harvest cantaloupe and lettuce by a lytic bacteriophage cocktail. Current Research in Food Science.
- Fong K, Tremblay DM, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Levesque RC, Moineau S, Suttle CA, Wang S*. 2019. Diversity and host specificity revealed by biological characterization and whole genome sequencing of bacteriophages Infecting Salmonella enterica. Viruses. 11(9), 854.
- He S, Qin X, Wong CWY, Shi C, Wang S*, Shi X*. 2019. Global proteomic and mutagenic analyses reveal ethanol adaptation strategies in Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. DOI: 10.1128/AEM.01107-19
- Hingston PA, Brenner T, Truelstrup, Hansen L and Wang S*. 2019. Comparative analysis of Listeria monocytogenes plasmids and expression levels of plasmid-encoded genes during growth under salt and acid stress conditions. Toxins. 11(7):426.
Hingston PA, Truelstrup, Hansen L, Pombert JF and Wang S*. 2019. Characterization of Listeria monocytogenes enhanced cold-tolerance variants isolated during prolonged cold storage. International Journal of Food Microbiology.
- Falardeau J, Keeney K, Trmcic A, Kitts D and Wang S*. 2019. Farm-to-fork profiling of bacterial communities associated with an artisan cheese production facility. Food Microbiology. 83:48-58.
- Wong CWY, Wang S, Lévesque RC, Goodridge L and Delaquis P*. 2019. Fate of 43 Salmonella strains on lettuce and tomato seedlings. Journal of Food Protection. 82(6):1045-1051.
- Qin X, He S, Zhou X, Cheng X, Huang X, Wang Y, Wang S, Cui Y, Shi C and Shi X*. 2019. Quantitative proteomics reveals the crucial role of YbgC for Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis survival in egg white. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 289:115-126.
- Keeney K, Trmcic A, Zhu Z, Delaquis P and Wang S*. 2018. Stress Survival Islet 1 contributes to serotype-specific differences in biofilm formation in Listeria monocytogenes. Letters in Applied Microbiology. doi: 10.1111/lam.13072
- Trmcic A, Chen H, Trząskowska M, Tamber S and Wang S*. 2018. Biofilm-forming capacity of five Salmonella strains and their fate on post-harvest mini cucumbers. Journal of Food Protection. 81(11): 1871-1879
- Falardeau J, Walji K, Haure M, Fong K, Talyor G, Ma Y, Smukler S and Wang S*. 2018. Native bacterial communities and Listeria monocytogenes survival in soils collected from the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 64: 1–11.
- Trzaskowska M, Dai Y, Delaquis P and Wang S*. 2018. Reduction of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella enterica and Listeria monocytogenes on mung bean using combined thermal and chemical treatments with acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide. Food Microbiology 76:62-68.
- Goodridge L, Fong K, Wang S and Delaquis P*. 2018. Bacteriophage-based weapons for the war against foodborne pathogens. Current Opinion in Food Science 20:69-75.
- Fong K, LaBossiere B, Switt AIM, Delaquis P, Goodridge L, Levesque RC, Danyluk MD and Wang S*.2017. Characterization of four novel bacteriophages isolated from British Columbia for control of non-typhoidal Salmonella in vitro and on sprouting alfalfa seeds. Frontiers in Microbiology 8:2193.
- Falardeau J, Johnson RP, Pagotto F and Wang S*. 2017. Occurrence, characterization, and potential predictors of verotoxigenic Escherichia coli, Listeria monocytogenes, and Salmonella in surface water used for produce irrigation in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada. PLoS ONE 12(9): e0185437.
- Fong K, Falardeau J, Rideout K, Wilcott L, Fong D and Wang S*. 2017. Opinions of provincial food safety specialists on addressing Canadian beef processing risks. Food Protection Trends 37(5): 316-331.
- Hingston P, Chen J, Allen K, Truelstrup, Hansen L and Wang S*. 2017. Strand specific RNA sequencing and membrane lipid profiling reveals growth phase-dependent cold stress response mechanisms in Listeria monocytogenes. PLoS ONE 12(6): e0180123.
- Emond-Rheault JG, Jeukens J, Freschi L, Kukavica-Ibrulj I, Boyle B, Dupont MJ, Colavecchio A, Barrere V,Cadieux B, Arya G, Bekal S, Berry C, Burnett E, Cavestri C, Chapin TK, Crouse A, Daigle F, Danyluk MD,Delaquis P, Dewar K, Doualla-Bell F, Fliss I, Fong K, Fournier E, Franz E, Garduno R, Gill A, Gruenheid S,Harris L, Huang CB, Huang H, Johnson R, Joly Y, Kerhoas M, Kong N, Lapointe G, Larivière L, Loignon S,Malo D, Moineau S, Mottawea W, Mukhopadhyay K, Nadon C, Nash J, Ngueng Feze I, Ogunremi D, PeretsA, Pilar AV, Reimer AR, Robertson J, Rohde J, Sanderson KE, Song L, Stephan R, Tamber S, ThomassinP, Tremblay D, Usongo V, Vincent C, Wang S, Weadge JT, Wiedmann M, Wijnands L, Wilson ED, WittumT, Yoshida C, Youfsi K, Zhu L, Weimer BC, Goodridge L*, Levesque RC*. 2017. A Syst-OMICS approach to ensuring food safety and reducing the economic burden of Salmonellosis. Frontiers in Microbiology 8:996.
- Hingston P, Chen J, Dhillon BK, Laing C, Bertelli C, Gannon V, Tasara T, Allen K, Brinkman FSL, Truelstrup Hansen L and Wang S*. 2017. Genotypes associated with Listeria monocytogenes isolates displaying impaired or enhanced tolerances to cold, salt, acid, or desiccation stress. Frontiers in Microbiology 8:369.
- Wang S, Weller D, Falardeau J, Strawn L, Mardones FO, Adell AD and Moreno Switt A*. 2016. Food safety trends: from globalization of whole genome sequencing to application of new tools to prevent foodborne diseases. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 57; Part A:188–198
- Mu K, Wang S and Kitts DD*. 2016. Evidence to indicate that Maillard reaction products can provide selective antimicrobial activity. Integrative Food, Nutrition and Metabolism 3(4): 330-335.
- Fong K and Wang S*. 2016. Strain-specific survival of Salmonella enterica in peanut oil, peanut shell and chia seeds. Journal of Food Protection 79(3):361-8.
- Fong K and Wang S*. 2016. Heat resistance of Salmonella enterica is increased by pre-adaptation to peanut oil or sub-lethal heat exposure. Food Microbiology 58 (2016) 139-147.
- Wang S*, Orsi RH, Tang S, Zhang W, Wiedmann M and Boor KJ. 2014. Phosphotransferase system-dependent extracellular growth of Listeria monocytogenes is regulated by the alternative sigma factors σL and σH. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 15;80(24):7673-82.
- Wiedmann M*, Wang S, Post L and Nightingale K. 2014. Assessment criteria and approaches for rapid detection methods to be used in the food industry. Journal of Food Protection 77 (4):679-690
Prior to UBC
- Kang J, Tang S, Liu RH, Wiedmann M, Boor KJ, Bergholz TM & Wang S. 2012. Effect of curing method and freezing on subsequent Listeria monocytogenes growth on cold-smoked salmon. J Food Prot. 75 (9):1619-26
- Deng K, Wang S, Rui X, Zhang W & Tortorello ML. 2011. Functional Analysis of ycfR and ycfQ in Escherichia coli O157:H7 associated with fresh produce outbreaks. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 77(12):3952-59
- Fratamico PM, Wang S, Yan X, Zhang W & Li Y. 2011. Differential gene expression of E. coli O157:H7 in ground beef extract compared to tryptic soy broth. J. Food Sci. 76: M79–M87.
- Wang S, Phillippy AM, Deng K, Rui X, Tortorello ML & Zhang W. 2010. Transcriptomic responses of Salmonella enterica serovars Enteritidis and Typhimurium to chlorine-based oxidative stress. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76(15):5013-24
- Wang S, Deng K, Zaremba S, Deng X, Lin C, Wang Q, Tortorello ML & Zhang W. 2009. Transcriptomic response of Escherichia coli O157:H7 to oxidative stress. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75(19):6110-23.
- Huang L, Bataineh MA, Atkin GE, Wang S & Zhang W. 2009. A novel gene detection method based on period-3 property. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 09:3857-60.
- Bataineh MA, Alonso M, Wang S, Zhang W & Atkin G. 2007. Ribosome binding model using codebook and exponential metric. IEEE EIT Proceedings. 438-44.
- Vongkamjan K, Wang S & Moreno Switt AI. 2016. Rapid detection of foodborne bacterial pathogens in seafood. Handbook of seafood: Quality and safety maintenance and applications. Ed. Genç IY, Esteves E & Diler A. Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, NY.
- Chen CY, Yan X, Wang S & Jackson CR. 2015. Application of metagenomic technologies for antimicrobial resistance and food safety research and beyond. In: Antimicrobial Resistance and Food Safety. Edited by Chen CY, Yan X & Jackson CR. Elsevier Ltd, San Diego, CA.
- Allen KJ & Wang S. 2014. Equipment cleaning. In: Encyclopedia of Meat Science, 2nd Edition. Edited by Devine C & Dikeman M. Elsevier Ltd, Oxford, UK.
- Wang S & Orsi RH. 2013. Listeria monocytogenes. In: Foodborne Infections and Intoxications, 4th Edition. edited by Morris JG & Potter ME, Elsevier Ltd, Oxford, UK.
- Wang Z, Wang S & den Bakker HC. 2011. Fungi: Microsporidia. In: Omics, Microbial Modeling, and Technologies in Food-borne Pathogens. Edited by Yan X, Juneja V & Huang L. DEStech Publications, Inc. Lancaster, PA